Wednesday 8 January 2014

Brave acid attack "Nigerian" victim arrives at court to give evidence against jealous friend.


The acid attack victim who was allegedly horrifically injured by one of her closest friends because she was jealous of her looks has arrived at court to give more evidence today.
Mary Konye, 21, admits disguising herself in a niqab and stalking Naomi Oni, also 21, on her way home from work, but denies she doused her in sulphuric acid. 
Miss Oni yesterday described the moment she was attacked and told Snaresbrook Crown Court after she saw the damage done she thought: ‘I’m ugly, no one’s going to marry me now.'
Jurors were also shown CCTV of student Konye disguised in a Muslim veil as she followed her friend on the Tube, before she was attacked late at night on an east London street.
Yesterday, she described how, on her way home from work at a Victoria’s Secret lingerie store, she got off at her bus stop in Dagenham, East London, and felt a ‘presence’ before turning to see someone in a niqab.
She then felt a ‘massive splash’ as the acid was thrown at her, scarring her for life and disfiguring her face, dissolving her hair and eyelashes and burning her tongue as she screamed. 
Describing how she felt after the attack, she said: ‘Am I a bad person? Why has this happened to me? I work hard ... No one’s going to marry me now.’ 
Miss Oni also revealed that when she told her alleged attacker what had happened, her friend texted back: ‘OMG. Can’t believe it.’ 
She also cried down the phone to Konye, who offered her support, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
She said: ‘I just had my bandages removed and it was the first time I saw my  face after surgery and I broke down and I had spoken to Mary that night  and I was crying on the phone to her and she was on the phone to me telling me, “don’t worry, you’ll be OK”.’ 
Giving evidence yesterday, Miss Oni described how she felt a ‘presence’ behind her as she walked home. 
She said: ‘I was still on the phone to my boyfriend and I felt a presence. I turned to my left and I saw someone and a black abaya [cloak] or a black niqab.
Miss Oni arrives at court todayMiss Oni was being followed before she was attacked
Miss Oni described how she was oblivious to her attacker as she walked home from work, but suddenly felt a big splash on her face and ran home screaming 'acid, acid'
The court heard that the pair had a ‘rocky relationship’ and had stopped speaking from April to September 2011 after a row over Konye sending text messages to Miss Oni’s boyfriend.
Victim: Naomi Oni before the attack in December 2012, which left her with life-changing injuries
Victim: Naomi Oni before the attack in December 2012, which left her with life-changing injuries
Miss Oni said: ‘I remember asking her why she wanted to do that and I said she’s a monster or something like that.  
'I said you are a monster, you are  an ugly monster. I remember us insulting each other’s looks.  
'She also told me she was so angry she wanted to throw acid at me, but she was advised not  to by her friend. 
'Her friend said, “That’s stupid, you could go to jail for that”.’ 


No comments:

Post a Comment