Tuesday 21 January 2014

Anti-gay law: US denies plan to withdraw financial aid to Nigeria


OBAMA













SOURCE: The United States (US) government, on Monday, denied plans to withdraw its financial support for Nigeria as related to the battle against HIV/AIDS, in protest of the recently signed anti-gay law by President Goodluck Jonathan.
The United States Ambassador to Nigeria, Ambassador James Entwistle, made the clarification in Abuja, when he paid the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Attahiru Jega, a visit.
This came as Professor Jega advised Nigerians not to expect perfect elections in 2015, but assured that the commission would do its best to make the elections much better than the previous ones.
Fielding questions from newsmen on the controversial anti-gay law mow in full practice in Nigeria and whether the US would withdraw its financial aid on HIV/AIDS, the US ambassador said “absolutely not. But we have to look at it very carefully and make sure that everything we do is in compliance with the new law.”
According to him, “as you know, we put millions of dollars in the fight against HIV/AIDS and again, I am not a lawyer; I read the bill and it seems to me that it may put some restrictions on what we can do to help fight HIV/AIDS in this country. These are the issues we are looking at as we look at the bill.
“The issue of same sex marriage is very controversial all over the world, including my country, where 17 states out of 50 have considered it. Some are saying it is not legal.
“The issue that we see and I am speaking as a friend of Nigeria, it looks to me that it puts significant restrictions in the Freedom of Assembly and Freedom of Expression and, in my opinion, especially in advanced democracies, once government begins to say something in these areas, freedom no longer apply. It seems to me that such is a very worrisome precedent.”
Speaking on the preparations of INEC ahead 2015 elections, he said “I have been here for two and a half months and I want to come over and pay my respect for the chairman of Nigeria’s election commission, because as I have stated clearly in some of my public comments, as Nigerians move to elections next year, my government and the people of United States stand with the people of Nigeria, as they move towards a peaceful and transparent election which the Nigerian people deserve.
“I have to introduce myself and some of my team to to INEC. Obviously, we will work very closely towards the US support for this election.”
On challenges facing INEC, particularly as it regards to funding and activities of politicians, the ambassador noted that in spite of the fact that funding of INEC concerned Nigeria and the National Assembly, the US “is looking at a way we can help INEC through different technical funds and so on.”
He further cautioned politicians to be responsible in whatever they said ahead of 2015 and during campaign periods.
Earlier, Professor Jega had told the ambassador series of plans being put in place by the commission, including a retreat slated for this week, in order to ensure hitch-free elections in 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment