Sunday 8 December 2013

Agony of woman who suffers from rare condition that causes her to compulsively damage her skin


At first glance, Sophie Ehrmann is a typical pretty twenty-something. But her fresh-faced looks hide a dark secret and her flawless skin isn't quite what it seems.
Rather than being the result of good health, Sophie's complexion comes from spending two-hours a day applying products to conceal the scars that dot her body as a result of dermatillomania, a condition that sees her compulsively damage her own skin.
Until recently, Sophie, who also suffers from trichtillomania, had kept her condition a secret from friends and family but now, the brave 24-year-old has laid bare her syndrome in a series of compelling portraits. 
Painful: Sophie spends two hours covering up her scars, caused by dermatillomania, every day
Painful: Sophie spends two hours covering up her scars, caused by dermatillomania, every day
Damage: Sophie's new portrait series show the damage to her legs

Scarring: Sophie's scars cover her entire body, including her face and legs

'I am a very high strung person and to calm myself, I tear my hair and skin out,' explains Sophie, who believes her condition is the result of stress. 

'I spend a lot of money on products and who knows how much on long socks, knee high boots, and tights. Then the whole cover-up process itself takes at least 90 minutes.
'It sucks. I can't just leave my house wearing a cute dress baring my legs for all to see. I have to plan 
things out. 

'I wish I had normal legs so I could just get dressed and wear whatever I want, whenever I want, without it being some big ordeal.'
It is not only going out that is difficult for Sophie: 'It is hard becoming intimate with someone when you feel so self-conscious about whether they will notice all the scars on your body, and think less of you.'
However after years of hiding from others, Sophie decided that it was time to tell the world the truth about her condition.
She revealed her scars to the world through an intimate photography project that was shown in an exhibition at New York City's School of Visual Arts in September. 
'I wanted more people to be aware of dermatillomania and trichotillomania and how it can affect anyone. 
'I felt like I should represent all of the people who were in my position and were too uncomfortable to publicise their disorder. Someone had to do it, and why not me?'
Harder was revealing the extent of her condition to friends and family, some of whom were shocked by the graphic images.
'Some people would avoid looking at the pictures because they were uncomfortable or grossed out, but that doesn't bother me because that's life. Some people will love what you do and others won't.'


No comments:

Post a Comment